American Dream Realty
What is a USDA Loan?
USDA loans are mortgages backed the U.S. Department of Agriculture as part of its USDA Rural Development Guaranteed Housing Loan program. USDA loans are available to home buyers with below-average, offer 100% financing with reduced mortgage insurance premiums, and feature below-market mortgage rates.
How USDA loan programs work
There are three USDA home loan programs:
Loan guarantees: The USDA guarantees a mortgage issued by a participating local lender — similar to an FHA loan and VA-backed loans — allowing you to get low mortgage interest rates, even without a down payment. If you put little or no money down, you will have to pay a mortgage insurance premium, though.
Do I Qualify?
Income limits to qualify for a home loan guarantee vary by location and depend on household size. To find the loan guarantee income limit for the county where you live, consult this USDA map and table.
USDA guaranteed home loans can fund only owner-occupied primary residences. Other eligibility requirements include:
- U.S. citizenship (or permanent residency).
- A monthly payment — including principal, interest, insurance and taxes — that’s 29% or less of your monthly income. Other monthly debt payments you make cannot exceed 41% of your income. However, the USDA will consider higher debt ratios if you have a credit score above 660.
- Dependable income, typically for a minimum of 24 months
- An acceptable credit history, with no accounts converted to collections within the last 12 months, among other criteria. If you can prove that your credit was affected by circumstances that were temporary or outside of your control, including a medical emergency, you may still qualify.
- Applicants with credit scores of 620 or higher receive streamlined processing. Those with scores below 580 must meet more stringent underwriting standards. And those without a credit score can qualify with “nontraditional” credit references, such as rental and utility payment histories.
See our complete easy valley list of USDA approved homes HERE
(*some homes may be subject to change)